July 26, 2019
Am I a botanist?
I was on a walk recently with a number of other plant enthusiasts,
and this question came up (I introduced it).
The following is mostly tongue and cheek, but you may call yourself
a botanist if you answer "yes" to two or more of the following.
I really boils down to whether you love plants and if they are a significant
aspect of your life. It could be some sort of badge of honor that lets you
feel better than other people, but that would be petty and obnoxious.
- Do you publish papers about plants in scientific journals?
- Do you know many of the plants in your area by their binomial names?
- Have you ever taken a college level class in botany?
- Do you have trouble fitting all your plant books on one bookshelf?
- Do you own one or more "flora", i.e. books with keys to identify plants?
- Are you able to use those books to identify plants?
- Are you always annoying companions on hikes by telling them the names of plants?
- Do you take pictures of plants on a regular or systematic basis?
- Are you unable to sleep at night because you could not identify a plant?
Have any comments? Questions?
Drop me a line!
Tom's Plant pages / email@example.com